Sunday, February 27, 2011

O-Week

O-week here in Australia is like clubs day at school, but a lot better. It's essentially a huge festival with free stuff, free food, free activities, and free drinks. All the clubs come out to try and recruit you, and it's just a pretty awesome week of getting free stuff. Plus, living on residence, there was free breakfast and dinner all week (free food is always awesome) and activities planned throughout the week. My only complaint about O-week at the halls is that I didn't appreciate being segregated from all the other halls against my will. Everything was really 'first-year' focused, so a lot of the international kids were quite peeved about it. Plus we were forbidden from hanging out with the friends we made in the previous week, so that kind of sucked.

Monday February 21st: Host Scheme

Today was just a big day of having fun on campus and getting free food. There were carnival activities set up like a big bouncy castle (which of course we jumped in), human bowling, a man making really awesome balloon animals and loads more. We saw the most amazing smoothie machine, powered by a woman riding a bike. It was incredible. Then I got free henna and a free tattoo. It's a shame I missed the free caricatures! At night we headed to the Host Scheme Night, which was another night of music and dancing. So, to sum it all up: music + dancing = a good time. Top it off with a midnight snack of french fries and McDonalds (or Maccas as they call it here)...well that's just a good night on a whole other level!



Tuesday February 22: Battle scars and Black Swan

Today was Day 2 of festivals on campus. Johnny and I walked around and we played this really awesome game of human tug-of-war. I was tugging like a soldier, really just giving it my all. After I dunked the ball into the hoop, I thought i'd won when Johnny, being the gentleman that he is, dragged me so hard that I got rug/plastic/tarp burn. I also have a mean battle scar to remember it forever :). I flew backwards and bounced off the middle pillar, i'm surprised I didn't get whiplash! Then at night after dinner, my hall headed off to watch Black Swan, which I hadn't seen and I must say is both traumatizing and life-changing all at once. It was incredible and gruesome and genius. I will however, steer clear of ballerinas from now on, thank you very much :P



Wednesday February 23: PJ Party

Joined the Monash University Waterski and Wakeboard Club, as well as the Food Appreciation club :) I also wanted to join the Gymnastics and Trampoline club, but I couldn't find them. Guess i'll just have to stalk them later! My hall had a PJ Party in the evening..so I went and rocked my jammies. Gotta represent my 'Nucks! :D



Thursday February 24: Luna Park

Today was the most awesome day. We went to the festival and got soo much free stuff. Free sunnies, free ice tea, free ICE-CREAM?! Free ice-cream!!! Yummy :) Then Brit and I saw flyers to the most amazing thing: free mug painting! So you better believe we ran ourselves to Whole Foods to paint ourselves some free mugs. I think they turned out just spiffy! I've never been so proud or so embarrassed of something that I produced :P.

At night, we went to the local amusement park, Luna Park for free. It's not a very big park, but a LOT of fun was had. It was just a good time, hanging out and riding the rides for free. My favourite was the 'Curse of the Calypso', that went upside down. We went wild in there, screaming all sorts of crazy things. "I PITY THE FOOL!!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment